Red HAT AS3 memory issues

Tolga Evren tolgae at paro.com.tr
Mon Mar 6 06:54:23 UTC 2006

Hi ,

As far as i know, inactive_dirty pages are types of virtual memory pages
which muste be written to disk before reuse. This means , if an
application needs memory and if the operatimg system decides or has to
use a page that is inactive_dirty , the data inside this memory must be
written to disk. ( Here by saying disk , i mean swap disk for anon pages
, and normal data files for file caches. )

This is what i know , i will be appreciated if some one also corrects my
points.  The file caching issue is also what i especially wonder.

Anyway , lets return to inactive_dirty issue. Here what my box showes:

[oracle at tanidw1 proc]$ cat meminfo
        total:    used:    free:  shared: buffers:  cached:
Mem:  8490827776 7332200448 1158627328        0 376569856 3980132352
Swap: 25165725696 589660160 24576065536
MemTotal:      8291824 kB
MemFree:       1131472 kB
MemShared:           0 kB
Buffers:        367744 kB
Cached:        3853888 kB
SwapCached:      32960 kB
Active:        2433184 kB
Inact_dirty:   2035712 kB
Inact_clean:    282592 kB
Inact_target:   950288 kB
HighTotal:           0 kB
HighFree:            0 kB
LowTotal:      8291824 kB
LowFree:       1131472 kB
SwapTotal:    24575904 kB
SwapFree:     24000064 kB
Committed_AS: 97331872 kB
HugePages_Total:     0
HugePages_Free:      0
Hugepagesize:    262144 kB
[oracle at tanidw1 proc]$ free
             total       used       free     shared    buffers
cached
Mem:       8291824    7160352    1131472          0     367760
3853904
-/+ buffers/cache:    2938688    5353136
Swap:     24575904     575840   24000064

inactvi_dirty value is 2035712 , lets say 2GB. My free ram is 5353136.
Right now the server is not loaded.

This inactive_dirty pages can be reused  , if necessary . The os decides
to launder enough pages in order to keep up with the memory pressure.

 When the memory pressure increases , what i observerse is
inactive_dirty pages are not laundered fast enough , and sar -W shows
swapping activity  , sar -B shows page outs.  What i do periodically is
to force the os to launder inactive dirty pages . ( I do this with a
simple c program which allocates lots of memory , touches each of them .
Only allocating memory is not enough due to the reservation-committing
issues of virtual memory)

Kind Regards
Tolga