Resizing partitions and copying data with dd

Jack Challen jack_challen at ocsl.co.uk
Mon Mar 6 09:24:41 UTC 2006

McDougall, Marshall (FSH) wrote:
> Thanks, Mike, but that didn't work either.  It wanted to take
> everything, including all the data from the other mounts, and put it
> under /newroot, not just the / contents.

You can try using

cp -dpR /* /newroot

however, considering you're doing this from a live system, I think the
expected results qualify as "undefined" :)
It'll also complain about attempting to copy /newroot inside itself, but
you can ignore that.

If you want to do this the Right Way, boot from a LiveCD and copy
between the two partitions.

cheers
jack