RHEL 4.0 and Dell PERC4/DC SCSI Raid Card

Paul Dwerryhouse paul at dwerryhouse.com.au
Wed Mar 8 00:16:29 UTC 2006

On Tue, Mar 07, 2006 at 11:06:01AM -0800, Mike McMullen wrote:
> Can anyone tell me if the Dell PERC4/DC SCSI RAID
> controller card is supported on RHEL 4.0?

I don't know about the specific DC model, but I had a bunch of servers
with PERC4 cards running RHEL and Debian. They worked fine, with the
megaraid (and later, megaraid2) modules.

They were all running raid5, using four HDD's and one hot spare. Dell
provides a utility for maintenance of the array that can be run from a
shell, and a monitoring utility that sends out email when the array is
in a degraded state, and when it rebuilds itself. Furthermore, if you're
using the megaraid2 module, the state of the array can be found under
/proc/megaraid, so you can easily build your own monitoring utilities.

This was all put in place to run a very large ISP in the Netherlands,
and proved to be very successful.

Cheers,

Paul.

--
Paul Dwerryhouse				| PGP Key ID: 0x6B91B584