Red Hat Certification

Ed Wilts ewilts at ewilts.org
Wed Mar 8 03:13:35 UTC 2006

On Tue, Mar 07, 2006 at 04:48:25PM -0800, Job Cacka wrote:
> Many of you are Red Hat Certified, and I am looking for some advice about
> the certification process.
>
> Do any of you have pointers, books to recommend, techniques to try, etc...
> I am not looking to shortcut the process, I only want to increase my
> education and at the same time pad my resume.

I've posted my technique several times (and it helped me earn a 100% on
all 3 sections).

Get a system (or virtual machine these days) that you can clobber,
re-install, and generally play around with.  Then read the Red Hat
supplied documentation page by page, trying out everything that's
documented.  Compare that with the course outline (which is online) and
the requirements, and you've got everything you need to get you going.
Make sure you know how to recover from disaster - if the manual says you
need a specific directory to boot, delete it and try to boot.  Then
recover (the manual was right :-)).  Grab a dos boot disk and do an
fdisk /mbr on a running system.  Recover from that.  Do other weird and
wonderful things to screw your system up and recover.

Find questions on the various Red Hat mailing lists that cover things
you might experience on an exam or in your studying.  Solve those
questions for people.  If you don't know the answer, look it up and post
it.  Not only will you learn more, you'll help others in the process.

It's a lot of work - I spent about 3 months studying most evenings and
weekends but I learned a lot.  I still respond to a lot of postings - it
helps keep me current.  I still look up answers on a regular basis (I'll
never know everything!).  You'll find that the more you help others, the
more you'll find people helping you if you have a question down the
road.

        .../Ed

--
Ed Wilts, RHCE