Red Hat Certification

Ed Wilts ewilts at ewilts.org
Wed Mar 8 16:45:07 UTC 2006

On Wed, Mar 08, 2006 at 08:54:54AM -0500, Magnus Andersen wrote:
> That's great advice Ed.  I'm also thinking about getting the cert since we
> are converting machine after machine over to RHEL from HP-UX.  One question
> though, on the "play" system(s) is it close enough to run CentOS or do you
> recommend loading RHEL?

I snagged a copy of RHEL when I did my training - we had a few extras at
work for systems that were not yet deployed so I got off cheap.

I personally run Tao Linux at home and it's close enough to RHEL for my
day-to-day work and support is adequate for a home desktop.  I've never
used CentOS.  Other than getting updates via yum instead of up2date (and
you should know up2date for the RHCE), I can't think of a reason my Tao
Linux would not suffice as a training distro.  That said, Red Hat does
offer a 30-day trial of RHEL on their website that you can download.

        .../Ed

--
Ed Wilts, RHCE
Mounds View, MN, USA