Can I install Yum and repos?

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Wed Mar 8 21:24:12 UTC 2006

On Thu, 5 Jan 2006, Ed Wilts wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 06, 2006 at 09:08:26AM +0800, Leonard Soetedjo wrote:
> > >
> > > You can install yum but you can't get RHEL 4 update binaries that way -
> > > Red Hat only makes the updates available via up2date.
> >
> > If you administer a few RHEL4, you can set up your own local yum / apt server.
> > The application I use is yam, its website is at
> > http://dag.wieers.com/home-made/yam/
> >
> > I believe you can download Red Hat's update using rsync (or http/ftp)?
>
> You're wrong.  You can NOT download RHEL updates via rsync, httpd, or
> ftp.  Unless you've purchased the Red Hat's proxy or satellite services,
> the ONLY option you have is up2date (and even then, I don't know if the
> first download is via up2date or not - I don't have the proxy or
> satellite services).

Actually, with Yam you can download updates from RHN just as you can do
with up2date. It has some functionality to download for different
distributions/architectures and provide those centrally inside a company's
network.

Unfortunately, this functionality is only checked into subversion, but
will soon be available in Yam 0.8.0.

For more information about what you can do, check out:

	http://svn.rpmforge.net/svn/trunk/tools/yam/README.rhn

Kind regards,