connect two linux boxes by a crossover cable

Kostas Sfakiotakis kostassf at rocketmail.com
Wed Mar 8 22:03:16 UTC 2006

Greetings Ed,

Ed Wilts wrote:

>On Sun, Jun 27, 2004 at 04:24:28PM -0400, Jason Staudenmayer wrote:
>

>>Don't use telnet. Use ssh
>>

>Whenever somebody raises a telnet issue, there seems to be a group of
>people trying to convince the user to switch to ssh instead.  Let's look
>at the entire network here - 2 systems connected via a crossover cable.
>There's not much insecure about using telnet in this case - where are
>the packets going to be sniffed?  In order to capture the packets, you
>have to be root on one of the systems.  Yes, the root user on one of the
>systems can probably get access to root on the other system, but for all
>we know, both systems are in his basement.

In this very occassion where only 2 computers of the same
individual are concerned then , there is no problem with using
telnet . The directive is merely for larger networks where more
things are in stake ( Although i have to admitt that it was funny
to observe through ethereal , what web pages my system was
trying to reach with her XP Box ( she was connecting to the net
through mine , i was running FC1 ).

Kind Regards,
  Kostas