NICs not Deteceted in RedHat ES 4

Ed Wilts ewilts at ewilts.org
Sat Mar 11 01:02:54 UTC 2006

On Fri, Mar 10, 2006 at 04:45:37PM -0800, Harjinder Singh wrote:
> I have a serious problem which I'm hoping someone can help me resolve
> ASAP.
>
> I am running RedHat ES 4 on a HP Proliant DL 380 Server which has two
> NICs installed.

For RHEL 4, you should use the nahant list, not redhat-list.

> I am booting redhat at runlevel 3.   When i do an ifconfig i only get
> the local Loopback  listed and not eth0 or eth1.  When i startx and go
> into the RedHat Hardware browser It lists the two nics but when I go
> to the Network Device Control it doesn't show any network interfaces
> configured.

First off, does lspci show you the 2 onboard NICs?  You should see a
pair of Broadcom GigE NICs - at least my DL380 systems do with RHEL 3.
lspci is probably what the hardware browser uses.

>From the command line, run system-config-network and configure your
network interfaces.  There's a good chance they just haven't been
configured yet.

        .../Ed

--
Ed Wilts, RHCE