NICs not Deteceted in RedHat ES 4

Frank DiPrete fdiprete at comcast.net
Sat Mar 11 18:17:13 UTC 2006

Hello,

I have a serious problem which I'm hoping someone can help me resolve
ASAP.

I am running RedHat ES 4 on a HP Proliant DL 380 Server which has two
NICs installed.

I am booting redhat at runlevel 3.   When i do an ifconfig i only get
the local Loopback  listed and not eth0 or eth1.  When i startx and go
into the RedHat Hardware browser It lists the two nics but when I go to
the Network Device Control it doesn't show any network interfaces
configured.

Please help!

....It lists the two nics...

This means that the nics have been found and are not setup yet.

run kudzu to see if it finds it and sets up your modprobe.conf file it
should add an entry for eth0 and eth1 - check your /etc/modprobe.conf
file - also check the output of lsmod | grep eth

when the module loads for the nics, use system-config-network to
configure.