Red Hat Certification

Daniel Buggie buggie at best.com
Mon Mar 13 21:32:04 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-03-13 at 15:37 -0500, Jason Brown wrote:
> How much RH experience did the people who passed have before studying and
> passing the exams.  The reason why I ask is because I was thinking of taking
> all of the courses but I would be paying for them out of pocket and really
> don't want to spend the thousands of dollars to do so.
> Jason Brown
>

> > --

I've been using RH since 5.1, but I did go partially Debian for a while.

>From what I've been told, the classes are very good and I imagine would
get you 'ready' faster, but at substantial cost.  So the questions are
how much time do you have to get ready for this, how much time do you
want to spend on it, and whether you have the hardware to build your own
lab to study from.

For the first time around (RHEL3), I had some vacation time to burn so I
took two weeks off and dove in -- 12 hours+ a day every day.  Not the
best use of vacation time but it did work.

There is a book by Michael Jang for the RHCE that is pretty good.  Even
though it was written for RHEL3, it should give you some insight to
whether you would like to take the classes or not.  And its a good
starting point if you go self-study.  However, since it hasn't been
updated for 4, you should spend time going over the differences between
RHEL3 and RHEL4 on your own. I don't know where your experience lies,
but this particular book is not a starter book. It assumes you are
comfortable with RH Linux as a user.

Personally, instead of dropping 2-4k on classes, I'd rather spend the
money on hardware that you can use well beyond the class and test cycle.
However that is based on my own experience level.  YMMV.

Daniel