Regarding tape backup

Paul Dwerryhouse paul at dwerryhouse.com.au
Tue Mar 14 05:29:12 UTC 2006

On Thu, Mar 09, 2006 at 04:20:44PM +0530, Krishnaprasad wrote:
> I have a query regarding data storage to tape . I am writing
> data to tape using tar utility. how can I cross check the data ie how
> can I verify the data...I have tried with verify option with tar
> command. But still problem is there... any other option is there ..pls
> suggest...

Is the filesystem mounted read-only when you're dumping it? If it
changes while you're writing it, then a verify will fail.

The other option you have, if you can't afford to have the filesystem as
read-only, is to use LVM and take a snapshot of it...

Cheers,

Paul

--
Paul Dwerryhouse				| PGP Key ID: 0x6B91B584