Loop-Back address broadcasting

Kishore Jalleda kjalleda at gmail.com
Tue Mar 14 16:56:47 UTC 2006

Hi All,
         We need to define loop-back addresses on our Poweredge 2650 boxes
running Redhat 9 (2.4.20-31.9smp #1 SMP) to support DSR on our Load
Balancers, but linux broadcasts the loop-back address that I am
defining,  thereby creating conflicts with the VIP on the Load balancer, I
do the same thing on our Sparc boxes without any problems, here is a sample
ifcfg-lo:0 file, so how can stop Linux from Broadcasting its loop back
addresses, is there any switch that I can turn on so that it stops
broadcasting .

Any help is greatly appreciated.

DEVICE=lo:0
IPADDR=192.168.100.21
NETMASK=255.255.255.255
NETWORK=192.168.100.0
# If you're having problems with gated making 127.0.0.0/8 a martian,
# you can change this to something else (255.255.255.255, for example)
ONBOOT=yes
NAME=kids17-loop

Kishore Jalleda