Red Hat Certification

Daniel Buggie buggie at best.com
Tue Mar 14 19:12:30 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-03-14 at 12:37 -0500, Jason Brown wrote:
> I think my only concern for not putting forth the money for it was that I
> have just started using it as a server instead of my regular desktop so
> things like ipchains and email is a new concept for me to use on the server
> side.  The other thing to was that I wanted to get it done before I was done
> with college and the 2 year life cycle kind of put me off for getting it at
> the moment.

At $750 a pop to take the test, I understand your concern.  Remember
that an RHCE is current through the subsequent version.  So if you test
on 4, you are current until the moment RHEL 6 comes out, although there
are advantages to making sure it doesn't lapse.  For example, I believe
RHCA credentials stay current as long as the students RHCE doesn't
expire. There also may be discounts for updating a cert for the current
release.

However if you are coming from a purely Linux Desktop environment and
you do opt to take the classes, you should probably expect to need a
significant amount of additional hands-on time outside of class to be
safe.

Daniel