Help mounting LVM volume twice

Philip Allen Johnson paj at fc.org
Wed Mar 15 02:10:34 UTC 2006

I am running a RedHat Enterprise 4 system in a VirtualServer environment.
When I was running up2date the system crashed and would not complete a
boot process. It seems that the disk is fine, but system software is not
runnable.

I have another image of the same server from about 6 month ago. I have
started running this older server to get my web server and mail server
back up. It is working fine, although I still need to update it.

Now I want to mount the corrupted, more recent disk onto the currently
running server so I can update my mail files for the mail of the last 6
months.

Since this is the same image, the Physical Volume ID of both volumes is
identical. When I try to mount the volume on hdb2, LVM won't let me,
saying that the volume is already mounted on hda2.

I won't fully claim newbie status. I am very rusty and I have never played
with LVM before. Detailed instruction would be nice.

Is there a way to change the volume ID? Any other suggestions on how I
could do this?

Is this the right forum or would there be a better place to ask this
question?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Phil