Directory Server

Ian imarks at comcast.net
Wed Mar 15 04:33:08 UTC 2006

I was just looking for some advice on a project I've got coming up.  I'm
looking at consolidating a NIS and Active Directory solution into a
single system for authentication and user administration.  There will be
1 to 3 busy admins and about 30 users.  There is a very small number of
Windows workstations and servers, maybe 25-30 total, and about 40
Linux/Solaris workstations and servers.  Highest priority will be strong
security controls of users and groups on the Linux and Solaris systems.
  I would like to limit what users could login to specific systems and
what they could do on those systems.  Right now this is done on a system
by system basis and using sudoers.  I also would like to serve home
directories via NFS for the Linux workstations and samba for the Windows
workstations.  I have been considering Fedora Directory Server with a
Samba server acting as a PDC for the Windows systems authenticating back
to FDS via LDAP.  Would FDS be able to meet this criteria in some sort
of basic configuration or would it be overkill?  I am very new to LDAP,
but I think I'm up for the challenge if it can do all that I hope it
can.   Any pointers or lessons learned would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Ian Marks
GCIA~ GCIH~ RHCE~