To Determine System Configuration - (No of CPUs, their speed, RAM, No of Hard disks, their capacity).

Ed Wilts ewilts at ewilts.org
Thu Mar 16 16:39:26 UTC 2006

On Thu, Mar 16, 2006 at 08:18:47PM +0530, unix syzadmin wrote:
> We have a lot of RedHat Linux servers in our lab.  I have been assigned a
> task to determine hardware configuration of these servers.  Please suggest
> some commands that would give the following information:
> 1. Type and No of CPU's, also their speed,
> 2. Amount of RAM.
> 3. No of Hard disk and their size.

I would start with lshw from either Dag's archive or from the author's
site at http://www.ezix.org/software/lshw.html.  You can generate the
output in text, xml, or html.  For an html sample, I threw up the output
from my desktop at http://www.ewilts.org/lshw.html

You may also want to look at the alist project at
http://www.brains2bytes.com/alist/.  It's getting a little old but it's
open source and cross-platform so you could update it if required.  It
will give you not only the hardware configuration but also some basic
software configurations including patch lists.  It's designed to be more
of a client-server application that allows it to keep itself up to date.

--
Ed Wilts, RHCE
Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts at ewilts.org