To Determine System Configuration - (No of CPUs, their speed, RAM, No of Hard disks, their capacity).

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Thu Mar 16 18:17:26 UTC 2006

On Thu, 16 Mar 2006, Ed Wilts wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 16, 2006 at 08:18:47PM +0530, unix syzadmin wrote:
> > We have a lot of RedHat Linux servers in our lab.  I have been assigned a
> > task to determine hardware configuration of these servers.  Please suggest
> > some commands that would give the following information:
> > 1. Type and No of CPU's, also their speed,
> > 2. Amount of RAM.
> > 3. No of Hard disk and their size.
>
> I would start with lshw from either Dag's archive or from the author's
> site at http://www.ezix.org/software/lshw.html.  You can generate the
> output in text, xml, or html.  For an html sample, I threw up the output
> from my desktop at http://www.ewilts.org/lshw.html
>
> You may also want to look at the alist project at
> http://www.brains2bytes.com/alist/.  It's getting a little old but it's
> open source and cross-platform so you could update it if required.  It
> will give you not only the hardware configuration but also some basic
> software configurations including patch lists.  It's designed to be more
> of a client-server application that allows it to keep itself up to date.

And dconf is something you might want to look at if the purpose is to
track changes (within a team) over time or to compare system (software and
hardware) configurations.

	http://dag.wieers.com/home-made/dconf/

Of course, you still need to know what command-output provides you with
this information. Those would be: dmidecode and fdisk -l

Kind regards,