[syslinux] Re: Install Red Hat AS 4 from iLO on a HP DL380?

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Fri Mar 17 09:22:54 UTC 2006

On Tue, 14 Mar 2006, Herta Van den Eynde wrote:

> H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> > Note... I don't know if the Red Hat CD is set up to do serial console, but I
> > know at least HP's iLO can do "virtual serial port."  That might also be an
> > option.
>
> No joy.  The virtual serial port is enabled in iLO, but it won't accept input
> during installation.
>
> As a workaround, I temporarily hooked the system up to a KVM switch, told it
> to boot "linux text nofb", and then I can continue the installation from the
> iLO.

Peter,

I was wondering if it was an option to use the 'Shift/Alt/Caps Lock/Scroll
Lock' detection (as in the prompt/noescape directive) as an indication
that you are also not interested in having a graphical display.

Especially when prompt is 1, this would allow to give another meaning to
the shift/alt/caps-lock/scroll-lock combination.

An ambiguity would be there when prompt is 0 though.

The only feedback possible (if the config-file is read-only that is) at
that point to give an indication that you don't want a graphical screen is
either via a BIOS capability (ie. screen does not support vga) or using a
keypress that is intercepted.

And I doubt that HP or IBM would be interested to make an option in their
firmware to make the local (ie. virtual) screen a text-only one.

Kind regards,