Sugestions - System E-mail

Frank DiPrete fdiprete at comcast.net
Fri Mar 17 12:22:20 UTC 2006

We have a large amount of redhat servers (50+).  They all run various
        cronjobs as root and other users that have accounts on the
        machines.
        The scripts and cronjobs generate output which is mailed to the
        local
        user on the machine.  Standard cron stuff.  My issue is that
        these
        system mails unfortunately rarely get read by anyone.  As a
        result the
        files in /var/spool/mail on the servers continue to grow.  In
        the past
        people used to just turn off sendmail, but they did not realize
        that
        /var/spool/clientmqueue/ just fills up with all the
        undeliverable mail.
        Does anyone have any suggestions on how to handle these system
        mails on
        a large amount of servers?  I guess if you really don't care
        about the
        mails, you could link to /dev/null.  But that seems a little
        drastic.

        put a .forward file in ~root on the machine pointing to the
        administrator's email address where they can be read and/or
        filed/deleted from a central location