UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY and Harddisk problem

Ong Ying Ying yingy at pc.jaring.my
Wed Mar 22 13:10:33 UTC 2006

I have 1 harddisk which has bad sectors/blocks. It gave out sound when
it was formatting for installation. I continued without checking for bad
blocks cause it would get hung when it checked for bad blocks.

During the first boot, it dropped into shell when it was checking the
filesystem.
... Checking file systems
/var contains a file system with errors, check forced.
Error reading block 131076 (Attempt to read block from filesystem
resulted in short read) while doing inode scan.

/var: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY.
   (i.e., without -a or -p options)
                                                    [FAILED]
*** An error occurred ...
*** Dropping you to a shell ...
Give root password ...

So I did fsck -V -r /var
During the 1st check (inodes, blocks and sizes), the same message as the
above came out and asked whether to ignore the error. (yes)

In the second check (directory structure), it came out
Entry 'yp' in / (2) has deleted/unused inode 58896. Clear<y>? (no)

Error message like in the 1st check came out again and I chose to ignore
again.

Entry 'yp' in / (2) has an incorrect filetype (was 0t, should be 0)
Fix<y>? (no)

Entry 'ftp' in / (2) has deleted/unused inode 58903. Clear<y>?

I decided not to continue and ignore them all.

What can I do for such a case? Can't Linux mark bad blocks so that they
can't be used? Does it have something like scandisk or chkdsk?

Don't tell me that the harddisk cannot be used anymore cause I have
another harddisk which is less than 2 years old since I bought and it
has some such problems. Luckily, it can still be used. In a day, I use
less than 8 hours and I don't use the computer everyday. (Average of 3
hrs a day)

Please tell me what I can do for this problem.