How to choose services to run at startup

Ong Ying Ying yingy at pc.jaring.my
Sat Mar 25 04:59:36 UTC 2006

Edward Dekkers wrote:
> Ong Ying Ying wrote:
>
>> I am using Redhat 7.1 (Seawolf), Linux ver 2.4.2-2.
>>
>> How do I choose the services I want to run at startup? I do not know
>> what program is for what? I don't have a Service Configuration for
>> Redhat7.1 version.
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>

> chkconfig
> setup (System Services)
> ntsysv
>
> You're not going to get a lot of help on 7.1, it was deprecated years ago.

7.1 is the best I have for that computer Pentium MMX with
24MB RAM and
1GB Harddisk. To install about 770MB programs, I needed
about 100MB more
of space when I already had 200MB swap. (Had to cut down on
swap and
programs) I don't think I can upgrade any of its software.
This Harddisk
is still good and did not give out sound during installation
but I did
check for bad blocks. Redhat 7.1 do not have licensing
problems. I do
not like the MS Window 95 that came with it.

Frankly speaking, MS Windows 98 SE OEM which I bought for
another
computer works much better than 7.1 and it uses less disk
space. Mozilla
is very-very much slower on 7.1 than IE on MS Window 98 SE
OEM. MS OEM
is not transferable and my Pentium MMX computer is still
very much usable.