RHEL kernel update install problem!

Herta Van den Eynde herta.vandeneynde at cc.kuleuven.be
Sun Mar 26 19:43:13 UTC 2006

Sancho,

Your story sounds familiar in that I once screwed up an update because
of lack of space on the disk.

Did you do an install (rpm -i) or an update (rpm -U) of the kernel?
Because if you did an install, the previous version should still be
there, and it should be simple to get you en route again.

If you did an update instead, could you post and 'ls -l /boot', so that
we can see what is still there to work with?

Here's what my /boot/grub/grub.conf looks like on a 2.4.21-37.EL system:

==== begin grub.conf
default=0
timeout=10
title Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS (2.4.21-37.EL)
         root (hd0,0)
         kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.21-37.EL ro root=LABEL=/
         initrd /initrd-2.4.21-37.EL.img
==== end grub.conf

If you still have previous versions of the kernel online, the easiest is
really to substitute vmlinuz-2.4.21-37.EL and initrd-2.4.21-37.EL.img
by the filenames of those working versions.  (/ is relative to /boot -
i.e. my /vmlinuz-2.4.21-37.EL is actually in /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.21-37.EL).

"default=0" means use the first entry (an entry starts at "title")

"title ..." can be followed by anything.  It's what will be displayed in
the boot menu.

"root (hd0,0)" means that grub is installed on the first partition of
the first hard drive.  (grub starts counting at 0, not 1)
If you don't remember where yours is installed, try booting from the CD
in rescue mode, do a 'chroot /mnt/sysimage', entered 'grub' and at the
prompt type 'find /grub/stage1'.
(If it doesn't find anything, you need to re-install grub.
http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/manual/html_node/Installing-GRUB-natively.html
explains how to do that in a few easy steps.)

If you installed '/' (i.e. the root filesystem) on /dev/sda1,
"root=LABEL=/" on the kernel line can also be "root=/dev/sda1".

That's basically it.  'ln -s /boot/grub/grub.conf /etc/grub.conf' will
recreate the softlink you seem to be missing.

All that needs to be done now, is boot the older kernel, remove the
potentially defective new one (rpm -e), and free enough space on /boot.
  Then re-install the new kernel, verify /etc/grub.conf was updated
properly, and reboot once more.

Hope this helps,

Herta

--
Herta Van den Eynde              -=- Toledo system management
K.U. Leuven - Ludit              -=- phone: +32 (0)16 322 166

"Life on Earth may be expensive,
  but it comes with a free ride around the Sun."