upgrading redhat 8.0 to Fedora Core 1 difficulties

Ong Ying Ying yingy at pc.jaring.my
Tue Mar 28 15:44:01 UTC 2006

Noah wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I am having some difficulties upgrading redhat 8.0 to FC1.  It appears some
> libraries are not being located.  one of hte libraries is libtk.so.0 but I
> have tk loaded on the machine.  Also I rebooted and it is still claiming to be
> a redhat 8.0 machine (see below).  Is there another step I need to do?  Why
> are these libraries not present?
>

> # dmesg
> Linux version 2.4.20-28.8 (bhcompile at daffy.perf.redhat.com) (gcc version 3.2
> 20020903 (Red Hat Linux 8.0 3.2-7)) #1 Thu Dec 18 12:24:59 EST 2003

I don't know much about version numbers but from your Linux
version, I would say that it is higher than Redhat9 because
my Redhat9 has the same revision number but a lower
'subversion' number. (I call 28 subversion because I don't
know what to call it.) So I think you have succeeded in
upgrading.

I have FC1 installation CD but it can't be used with my
latest computer because after installation, it cannot detect
my monitor properly. Cannot see words in X-Window. So to me,
it is junk. I don't know where to change the setting of my
monitor outside X-Window.