Cmdline mail client that talks to remote SMTP server?

Vladimir Kosovac vkosovac at gmail.com
Wed Mar 29 04:41:08 UTC 2006

By default, Red Hat systems (including Fedora) run sendmail daemon
after install. All you need to do is uncomment (remove 'dnl' at the
beginning) the line:

dnl define(`SMART_HOST',`smtp.your.provider')

in /etc/mail/sendmail.mc file

and replace smtp.your.provider with valid smtp server name (that will
accept relaying for your outbound email)

Once you did this, run:

make -C /etc/mail

and restart sendmail:

service sendmail restart

Done. Sending email is done by running `mail` from command line (look
up man mail for options).

vnk