grub installation with kickstart

Daniel Buggie buggie at best.com
Fri Mar 31 15:41:13 UTC 2006

Dominik Schmid wrote:

>Hi
>
>I have a problem with the grub installation in the post of the kickstart
>installation.
>
>In the Kickstart File i say the following:
>clearpart: --drives cciss/c0d0 --all
>bootloader: --location mbr
>

>Because i have 16 fibre channel storage paths, grub installs the bootloader
>on (hd16,0) instead of the drive cciss/c0d0 (hd0,0).
>How can I tell to install grub on (hd0,0) staticly?
>
>Thanks!
>Dominik

AFAIK there is no way to specify an arbitrary disk to install grub to in
Kickstart.   I haven't tried this, but perhaps you can use the
--driveorder option to get it sorted out. See:

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-4-Manual/sysadmin-guide/s1-kickstart2-options.html

Beyond that, I'd try --location partition (to install on first sector of
/boot partition) or if that doesn't work set it to none and do the grub
installation by hand during the post install script. It wouldn't be
pretty, but it'd work.

Daniel