redhat vs fedora install packages

A.Fadyushin at it-centre.ru A.Fadyushin at it-centre.ru
Fri Mar 31 16:09:10 UTC 2006

You can download Fedora RPM's and try to install them. Usually, if the
dependencies are satisfied the packages will work. If the Fedora
packages for GCC require other Fedora packages, you can also download
and install them. Then repeat this process recursively until all
dependencies will be satisfied. However this process may require to
replace many packages and require rewriting of some configs. Actually
this process works (however, it  requires a lot of manual work) and I
used this process to completely update some my servers (those which
could not be physically accessed for reinstallation) to never
distributions since RH6.

Alexey Fadyushin.
Brainbench MVP for Linux.
http://www.brainbench.com

RHL9)

> Mike Burger wrote:
>
> > Should be, if they've been updated.
> >
> > You can check their downloads area to see if there's a newer version
> > than what you have.
> >
> > I use apt-get to update via Fedora Legacy, for my Fedora 1, 2 and 3
> > systems.
> >
> > On Wed, 29 Mar 2006, Russell Golden wrote:
> >
> >> It didn't update the kernel or GCC... are those out there
somewhere?

Shrike),