Maximum amount of memory for redhat es3 x86 machine

alan alan at clueserver.org
Fri Mar 31 23:02:58 UTC 2006

On Fri, 31 Mar 2006, Bliss, Aaron wrote:

> Does anyone know the maximum amount of ram that can be ran on a redhat
> enterprise 3 server x86 platform?  I've installed 16 gb into a server;
> the os sees all of the memory, however I receive a message on bootup
> that says something to the tune of redhat es 3 only needs 8gb of memory;
> I would think that all is okay, as the kernel is able to address all 16
> gigs without any issue; free shows this:
>
>             total       used       free     shared    buffers
> cached
> Mem:      16149820     578972   15570848          0      19396
> 477496
> -/+ buffers/cache:      82080   16067740
> Swap:      4096048          0    4096048

The hard part is not getting Redhat to see the memory.  The hard part is
finding a motherboard that will let you put in more than 16gigs in it.

I have seen a few boards that would address more memory, but they were
AMD64 boards.  (And Linux runs great on those as well.)

--
"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over." - Frank Zappa