Authenticaion Choices

Nabeel Moidu nabeelmoidu at gmail.com
Thu May 4 15:33:45 UTC 2006

Hi
On 5/3/06, Chiu, PCM (Peter) <P.C.M.Chiu at rl.ac.uk> wrote:

> Ok, thanks for your response, Nabeel,
>
> It appears to me that you are not in favour of AD due to its potential
> license costs.

It  isn't exactly about license costs, you  will be forced to go for
microsoft products one after the other once you have Active Directory
installed .But its ease of use is better than all others.But in your case
since your majority clients are on linux , I would suggest you to go for
LDAP.
http://directory.fedora.redhat.com/wiki/Howto:Samba
is an useful link for configuring Samba with LDAP backend.Your windows
clients can authenticate through Samba .

Do I detect your tone that you are in favour of LDAP or OpenLDAP?

OpenLDAP is probably the best LDAP server around ,although I don't have much
experience working on it , but setup and customization would be easier in
Fedora Directory Server , and in case you have any issues you can post your
queries to Fedora-directory-users @redhat.com
In fact both these projects can be traced back to common roots.

Do you mind to say
> a. your experience with OpenLDAP serve under RedHat, as a server?

I have used only  Fedora Directory Server in production .But I know  many
large scale installations of both FDS and OpenLDAP.

b. how many clients it can serve to a mix environment with RedHat, Suse