Naming Convention Limits

Ed Wilts ewilts at ewilts.org
Fri May 5 11:45:04 UTC 2006

On Fri, May 05, 2006 at 05:47:36AM -0500, Esquivel, Vicente wrote:
> Anyone have any idea of there is such a limit?

There is a limit but it's changed from release to release.  I believe
that a username can only be 12 or 16 characters.  The easiest thing to
do is to test it with useradd.  Start with a 12-character string and
work your way up.  You'll find the limit pretty quickly.

        .../Ed

--
Ed Wilts, RHCE
Mounds View, MN, USA