tracking down excessive system cpu utilization

Emilio Casbas ecasbas at unav.es
Tue May 9 11:34:02 UTC 2006

Romeo Theriault wrote:
> The "top" command will show you what process are using the most cpu
> and memory amongst other things but what have you tried so far?
>
> Romeo

With the "vmstat" command you will show three kinds of CPU data:

    -overall utilization (you can identify if the CPU's speed is the
bottleneck)
    - load averages. (impression of overall system performance)
    - per-process CPU consumption (you can identify specific process
that are hogging resources)

%man vmstat

Thanks
Emilio C.