Recommended C/C++ IDE

Ryan Golhar golharam at umdnj.edu
Wed May 3 20:23:24 UTC 2006

I'm coming from the Microsoft Windows development arena.  I'm very
comfortable with Visual Studio 6.

I've been doing some Linux development but mostly from the shell using
vi or nedit or something simple like that.

Most of the perl debugging I use the ptkdb toolkit.  Very simply and
straight-forward.

In any case I'm starting to get into more involved projects and was
wondering what the recommended C/C++ IDE's are.  Are there any IDE's
that know how to read in the "./configure, make, make install" type
projects?  I'm more interested in starting to debug some projects built
with this model.

I've seen Emacs (but it seems to arcane to start off with), Kdevelop,
and Anjuta.  I was wondering what people recommend...

Ryan