Installing source 2.6.9-22

Stuart Sears stuart at sjsears.com
Sun May 7 22:33:15 UTC 2006

Gururaj Ananthateerta wrote:
> Installed kernel.2.6.9-22.EL.src.rpm
>
> I don't seem to get the 2.6.9-22 version number in the kernel. All I get
> is 2.6.9
> Any clues how I fix the version.
what are you trying to achieve here? Build your own kernel? Be aware
that this will void any support agreements you may have in place with
Red Hat.
RPM packages have the naming format:
name-version-release.arch.rpm
(e.g. kernel-2.6.9-22.i686.rpm)
2.6.9 is the version of the kernel source from which kernel-2.6.9-22 was
built.
There will also be a a number of patches included that would be applied
to the vanilla 2.6.9 tree to bring it up to release 22.
the -22 part is an RPM build-specific version number. Effectively it
means that this is the 22nd RPM release (well, technically *build*, not
*release*) of the 2.6.9 kernel RPM

the -22 is fairly meaningless if you are building kernels without using
the RPM build system. If you installed the src rpm as root, you will
find details of the version number and the different patches that Red
Hat apply in /usr/src/redhat/SPECS/

Regards,

Stuart
--
Stuart Sears RHCA RHCX
To err is human, to forgive is Not Company Policy.

believed to be clean.