Oracle on RHEL4 with ASM problem

Lunt, Nick Nick.Lunt at wesleyan.co.uk
Mon May 8 10:08:43 UTC 2006

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Jack Challen [mailto:jack_challen at ocsl.co.uk]
> Sent: 08 May 2006 10:44
> To: General Red Hat Linux discussion list
> Subject: Re: Oracle on RHEL4 with ASM problem

ASM requires raw devices. Any device that's /dev/sd.. will be a
block(ed) device. see "ls -l /dev/sdc*" and look at the "b".
You probably want to try raw devices, see "man raw".

NB: Switching to a raw device is /possibly/ (though not probably, IMHO)
a destructive operation. One thing you really, really, _don't_ want to
do is use both the block (/dev/sd..) and raw (/dev/raw/raw..) at the
same time. Otherwise Bad Stuff will happen.

jack

Oh <bad swear word> !

Thanks very much for the info and the link. Your correct I truly did not know we had to actually use raw devices.
I've spoke to the dba's and what they suggest is they migrate a disk out of ASM one at a time, then migrate it back
in using the raw device.

Thanks very much for the help.

Nick .

Wesleyan Administration Services Ltd registered number 5188850 and Wesleyan Unit Trust Managers Ltd registered number 2114859 ("WUTM Ltd") are wholly owned subsidiary companies of Wesleyan Assurance Society, whose registered number is ZC145. WUTM Ltd is a member of IMA. For ISA/PEP/Unit Trusts Administration Centre: PO Box 9033, Chelmsford, SM99 2WQ Telephone: 0870 601 6129 Wesleyan Assurance Society and WUTM Ltd are authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority. Head Office, Colmore Circus, Birmingham B4 6AR. Telephone: 0121 200 3003 Fax 0121 200 2971. Website: www.wesleyan.co.uk Telephone calls may be recorded for monitoring and training purposes.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

This communication and the information it contains is intended for the person or organisation to whom it is addressed. Its contents are confidential and may be protected in law. Unauthorised use, copying or disclosure of any of it may be unlawful. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact us immediately.

The contents of any attachments in this e-mail may contain software viruses, which could damage your own computer system. While every reasonable precaution to minimise this risk has been taken, we cannot accept liability for any damage that you sustain as a result of software viruses. You should carry out your own virus checking procedure before opening any attachment.

Delivered using mail2.wesleyan.co.uk