Oracle on RHEL4 with ASM problem

Jack Challen jack_challen at ocsl.co.uk
Mon May 8 12:17:20 UTC 2006

Lunt, Nick wrote:

> --
> $ ll /dev/raw
> total 0
> crw-rw----  1 root disk 162, 1 May  8 13:02 raw1
>
> $ service rawdevices restart
> Assigning devices:
>            /dev/raw/raw1  -->   /dev/sdp1
> /dev/raw/raw1:  bound to major 8, minor 241
> done
>
> $ /etc/init.d/oracleasm createdisk VOL14 /dev/raw/raw1
> Marking disk "/dev/raw/raw1" as an ASM disk: asmtool: Unable to open device "/dev/raw/raw1": Block device required [FAILED]
>
> $ ls -ld /dev/raw
> drwxr-xr-x  2 root root 60 May  8 13:04 /dev/raw
>

> I get the same error if I change /dev/raw/raw1 to oracle:oinstall after restarting rawdevices then run oracleasm createdisk.
> Also tried chmodding /dev/raw to 777 (to test) and we still get the same error.

Interesting.... in that case, try this:

==
service rawdevices stop
#remove the partition from /dev/sdp (should be done by the next step
#anyway).
#Change the /etc/sysconfig/rawdevices entry to be /dev/sdp (no "1"
#partition indicator).
service rawdevices start
chown oracle:oinstall /dev/raw/raw1
/etc/init.d/oracleasm createdisk VOL14 /dev/raw/raw1
==

ie change the raw device to use the whole disk rather than the partition
(I realise you said this didn't work when using a block device, but I'd
still recommend this)

jack

--
Jack Challen