adding new hardware

Cannon, Andrew Andrew.Cannon at amecnnc.com
Thu May 11 16:09:46 UTC 2006

-----Original Message-----
From: dbrett at tcn.net [mailto:dbrett at tcn.net]
Sent: 09 May 2006 22:46
To: redhat-list at redhat.com
Subject: adding new hardware

I have a laptop with a Broadcom wireless card.  The Broadcom website
appears to indicate it supports Linux.  I don't know how to configure
Linux to support the card.  When installing and starting up the wireless
card is not discovered.

How do I add the Broadcom to Fedora 5?

david

---------------------------
David

I don't know about the Broadcom drivers, but I've had to use ndiswrapper for
my TI based wireless card (Safecom SWLC-54108) on FC5.  Unfortunately, I
have only got 128MB on the laptop at the moment, and whenever I do the final
stage of the installation (modprobe ndiswrapper), it starts swapping like
crazy and the system locks up (left it for an hour and it was still
swapping).  I'm waiting for some more memory to arrive before trying again
(unless installing in init 1 would be better...)

ndiswrapper is available from http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/

Note that I have not yet got this to work because of this memory issue.
Also, the default FC5 kernel is compiled with 4k blocks (I can't remember
the error message exactly, but it was something to do with 4k block size in
the kernel.) and the ndiswrapper script recommends that you recompile with 8
or even 12k blocks.  I have not yet got around to trying to recompile the
kernel, so I'll wait until I get the memory before I try again...

HTH

Andy

----------------------

the modprobe worked.   Unfortunately, the driver didn't.  The kernel is
compiled using the CONFIG4KSTACKS option (there is an underscore there, but
I can't remember where it is...) so I would have to recompile with either 8k
or 12k stacks for this to work.  The linuxant driver supplied by the vendor
also ran into this problem (along with some USB driver problems which I'm
trying to resolve).

When I feel brave enough to recompile the kernel, I'll see if that helps...

Andy

AMEC Nuclear Holdings Limited (no. 3725076), AMEC NNC Limited (no. 1120437), National Nuclear Corporation Limited (no. 2290928), STATS-NNC Limited (no. 4339062) and Technica-NNC Limited (no. 235856).  The registered office of each company is at Booths Park, Chelford Road, Knutsford, Cheshire WA16 8QZ except for Technica-NNC Limited whose registered office is at Citygate, Altens Farm Road, Aberdeen, Aberdeenshire, AB12 3LB.  AMEC NNC's head office and principal address is Booths Park and the switchboard number is 01565 633800.
The AMEC NNC website is www.amecnnc.com

Any request, advice, information or opinion in this message which does not relate to the business of any of the above companies is not authorised by any of the above companies.  Where this message does so relate,  it is sent by the relevant company (as above) and is confidential and intended for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed.  The content is subject to contract and, unless so stated, does not form part of any contract.  If you have received this e-mail in error please notify the AMEC NNC system manager by email at eadm at amecnnc.com.