RHEL3: Driver disk in 'linux rescue'

Martin Lipocky mlipocky at atlas.sk
Thu May 11 21:25:44 UTC 2006

Hello,

I need your assistance on how to reinstall grub on SATA disks in RAID1
array.

After several hours of search I couldn't find any helpful information on
using driver diskette in 'linux rescue' mode. I take it for dumb that
that installation CD prompts for a driver disk only in 'linux expert'
and 'linux dd' and both seem to be used for installation only.

I have Adaptec RAID controller in HP Proliant DL320 G3. The drivers for
RedHat Enterprise Linux 3 are on the two places ready: 1. installed
directly in the system in initrd and 2. on a driver diskette. However, I
no longer can use 'linux rescue' mode, because the mode does not want to
prompt me for a driver diskette and without the raid driver the disks
are invisible and cannot be found and mounted.

Is there any trick on how to make the installation CD ask for the driver
diskette and jump to command prompt to chroot and grub-install?

Any documentation on it is either missing or could not find it after
several hours of desperate search. Please, help me.

Regards,

Martin.