64-bit for redhat EL, please give advice

Russell Harrison rtlm10 at gmail.com
Mon May 15 13:36:36 UTC 2006

We have been running AMD Opteron x86_64 processors in priority 1 production
systems under heavy load with no issues due to the opterons.  Issues you may
encounter would involve proprietary drivers / software which just don't
support x86_64 well.  We really haven't seen any problems with hardware that
has support built into the stock kernel.  The Opterons are our preferred
platform for Linux now because of the price / performance.

We've been very pleased with the HP DL385/585 platforms.  The new Sun Galaxy
servers (4100/4200) look quite nice, but we've only just finished qualifying
them, so we don't have them in any P1 environments yet.

As for Itaniums . . . I haven't looked at them in about 8 months or so but
they suffered from several problems.  #1 They are expensive, #2 they use an
insane amount of power, #3 they generate an insane amount of heat, #4 they
were very unreliable in our environments.  The vendor rep swore up and down
we had just gotten unlucky so . . . with only 5 boxes I can't make a call on
a whole processor line.  After that experience though it would take some
serious convincing to get me to try Itanium again.

Russell