awk scripts problem after upgrade from RHEL-2.1 to RHEL-4

Ben Russo ben at muppethouse.com
Tue May 16 18:09:15 UTC 2006

Jack Challen wrote:
> Ben Russo wrote:
> <snip>
>> and it would give you a list of files in the directories that are
>> listed in /u/apps/utilities/idxpath that contain the date string in
>> the range given.
>
>> any ideas?
>
> ls /u/apps/utilities/idxpath | grep -e $(seq -s ' -e ' 060501 060510)
>

> where the final two numbers represent the start and end dates
> respectively. It wouldn't be too hard to script with "expr" so that it
> evaluated your relative dates...
>
> jack

True, there are a thousand easy ways to skin that cat.
The real reason I am asking is that it seems wierd that a simple shell
script that calls an AWK script would break after upgrading from
RHEL-2.1 to RHEL-4.
I thought maybe people knew what the problem might be.
And I wasn't so concerned about this simple AWK script as I was
that maybe the *cause* of this problem could break other things on the
server that I am not yet aware of.

-Ben.