strange problem - server hangs at boot Runlevel 3 - RHEL4

Götz Reinicke goetz.reinicke at filmakademie.de
Mon May 22 12:02:54 UTC 2006

Hi Nick,

Lunt, Nick schrieb:
> Hi Gotz,

yes.

> Have you checked that your hosts file is setup to correctly get the name of the box ? Im not sure why this would affect crond but its worth looking at ;) Check nsswitch.conf too.

yes, it is.

> Is sshd running ?

yes.

> Is selinux running ? If so try disabling that.

There is no SElinux setup.

The starnge thing ist, that if i boot into runlevel 1 and than switch
manually into runlevel 3, I can log in by console and by ssh. Also I'm
able to start the deamons crond, webmin,... which hang.

If I boot directy into runlevel 3 the system hangs if I autostart the
deamons and if I disable the deamons I'M not allowed to login...

Any more ideas?

Thanks a lot and best regrads

Götz
--