strange problem - server hangs at boot Runlevel 3 - RHEL4

Mahesh Pokala mahesh.pokala at oracle.com
Mon May 22 23:06:15 UTC 2006

Are you running NIS ?

-----Original Message-----
From: redhat-list-bounces at redhat.com [mailto:redhat-list-bounces at redhat.com] On Behalf Of Götz Reinicke
Sent: Monday, May 22, 2006 2:50 AM
To: General Red Hat Linux discussion list
Subject: strange problem - server hangs at boot Runlevel 3 - RHEL4

Hi,

I have a RHEL4 server which hangs on booting into the default runlevel 3. The bootprocess stopps at the crond.

Booting runlevel 1 manualy from grub works, starting the services by hand works than too; e.g. networking, crond.

Switching to runlevel 3 by "init 3" works too and the crond is startet as well, but I can't log in at the loginprompt; I doublechecked the rootpassword, but I do get the log-messsage, that the login failed.

There are no errors in the logfiles concerning the default boot.

Any ideas how to track the problem down?

All I did was a reboot of the server ...

Thanks a lot for any hint!!!

Best regards

Götz
--