Restore - Linux vs Solaris

Sysadmin sysadmin_lists at iwapps.com
Fri May 26 03:42:53 UTC 2006

In the spirit of using Linux as much as possible,  I use my FC4
server to back my Solaris system.  I have built a custom script that
reaches across to Solaris system and executes a remote command using
SSH.  The remote command used is "ufsdump".  The command looks something like
ssh -l user host ufsdump -0uf  - /partition-to-be-backed-up
|cat  >/destination-directory/filename

Everything is fine til I need to restore from a back up.  It seems
that I can backup and restore the smaller partitions (in this case
2.2Gb) without issue. However, when I try to restore a backup for a
larger partition(in this case 7.6Gb), I am unable restore without
moving the backup file to a Solaris system.  Once I move the backup
file to a Solaris system, it seems to work correctly. So the backup
is being created accurately.

Is there any know differences between the Linux "restore" command and
the Solaris "ufsrestore" command?  In both cases I am doing an
interactive restore.
Linux -- restore -vif backup-file.dmp
Solaris -- ufsrestore -vif backup-file.dmp

I would appreciate any insights.

Leon Sonntag