Zoomerang Survey?

Barry Brimer lists at brimer.org
Thu Nov 2 14:30:57 UTC 2006

> Did any of us opt in to any sort of list to request that we be pinged for
> Zoomerang surveys?  Especially since the survey invitation includes an
> "opt out" link?
>
> I certainly hope that Red Hat wouldn't stoop to simply giving out our
> email addresses, whether because we're on their listservs or because we're
> associated, in some way, as users of their products, without our express
> permission.
>
> I would also hope that they wouldn't stoop to sneakwrap type tactics,
> wherein they would change their policies, regarding the use of our email
> addresses, with no appropriate notice or prior request for permission.

I don't think Red Hat did anything sneaky.  I think our email addresses
were lifted from the mailing list archives by this third party.  For the
record, I did not sign up for any surveys.

I have received surveys from Red Hat in the past, but they were clearly
from Red Hat, and in a different format.  These messages were sent to the
appriopriate email address on my Red Hat customer account or my Red Hat
certification account.  The email received yesterday was sent to my
mailing list account.  I do not suspect that Red Hat had any participation
in this survey.