Uninstall Redhat Network Components - Continued

inode0 inode0 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 7 15:41:21 UTC 2006

On 11/7/06, Russell Harrison <rtlm10 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Basically what they don't want is your machine that no longer has support to
> keep hitting their RHN servers.  Until you remove the RHN bits from your
> system it will check in periodically and fail to authorize.  They just want
> to eliminate that unnecessary load on their servers.

I'm sure you are correct they would prefer you not poke RHN for no
reason but stopping that does not require removing anything from your
system and as far as I can tell those pieces are distributed under the
GPL too. They can be turned off or configured to poke other places.

The "Red Hat Network Code" must refer to something in particular and
I'm still guessing that it likely refers to any Red Hat Network Proxy
Server or Satellite Server code you may be running which isn't
licensed under the GPL.

Perhaps if we wait long enough we will get a statement from Red Hat
clearing this all up.

John