Drive changed device names.

Shawn Parker shawn.parker at gmail.com
Mon Nov 20 15:23:57 UTC 2006

I have a RHEL v3 server which was re-installed Sunday. When I
partitioned the drives during install, Linux designated them as
/dev/sda and /dev/sdb. This morning, whilst trouble shooting a
different issue I discovered swap had not enabled itself after reboot.

After probing the system, I discovered my drives are now designated as
/dev/sdbe* and /dev/sdbf*. Why? Where did the change come from? These
are two generic SCSI drives. It's a standard Dell PowerEdge; 6650 I
think.

Should I be concerned? Everything seems to work. I can traverse
directories, write files, etc. And, now that I know what swap's device
is, I've added it to /etc/fstab (which I'm confused why it wasn't
there to begin with...).

I didn't do anything differently during partitioning and installation
than on other machines. In fact, the test box-which is basically a
copy-still uses /dev/sda* and /dev/sdb*.

Has anyone else experienced a similar problem?

--
http://silolabs.net/~sparker/pubkey.txt