how to automount on RedHat

Dave Martini martini at mrpeabody.llnl.gov
Wed Nov 1 17:43:15 UTC 2006

I added nisplus to the automounts option in /etc/nsswitch.conf file and
now I don't get the RPC errors when starting/stopping autofs but I still
can't cd to my directories.

Do I have to define everything in /etc/auto.master and do it that way
and manually create the directories on the client in RHEL 4? I was
hoping the machine would automatically get this information on the
automount maps from my server which it seems to do
because when I do a ypcat -k auto.master I see all of my automount maps
but I can't CD to the locations it says no such file or directory.

I have an RHEL 3 machine where this does work and I don't have to put
anything in /etc/auto.master and I can cd to all of my logical locations
no problem. Is this a change in RHEL 4?

Dave.