boot problem

sylvan dacounha sylvan_2804 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 6 05:29:34 UTC 2006

Dear Karl,

  Thanks for ur quick reply.
  appreciate

  but there is no hardware problem since tried with new memory and also i swapped the hard disk to an perfectly identical same mode another machine

  the same error occur.

  the grep file was corruped .

  but wanna know how will i get a new grep file as this was the only RH 9 machine i had. other 2 machines running redhat 8.

  MY previous mail list the complete errors

  Thanks and Regards

  Simon

"Karl O. Pinc" <kop at meme.com> wrote:

On 11/04/2006 12:42:27 AM, sylvan dacounha wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> in my earlier mail i had mentioned that i am not able to boot redhat
> linux 9 cause it gives segmentation error
>
> here is the complete list of error messages
>
> Welcome to /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit: line 70: 34 Segmentation Fault
> LC_ALL=C grep -q "RED HAT" /etc/redhat_release

You may have hardware problems. Try:
http://www.memtest.org/

Karl
Free Software: "You don't pay back, you pay forward."
-- Robert A. Heinlein