boot problem

sylvan dacounha sylvan_2804 at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 7 06:01:53 UTC 2006

Thnks Mark for ur quick reply ..
  as u say i have squirrel mail running on the server and user accessing mail ..
  i try to backup /etc to /var/tmp diecrtory n reload linux as u said

  Thanks once again

  Simon,

From: sylvan dacounha
Date: Monday, November 6, 2006 9:45 am

> bye the way i want to tell u that this redhat linux machine is
> running a mailserver + secondary dns and a webserver n is behind a
> firewall which allows only port 53, 80 and 25 n 110 ..
> could still this machine could be hacked .

I believe there are ways in, esp. through the Webserver. And, of course,
if there are users running a browser or reading mail with a GUI (as
opposed to, say, mutt or pine), there's always a way in.

> also i did ftp the grep file from the other redhat 8 server but
> the problem was the same

You probably need to reinstall the package.

> should i reload redhat 9 from CD's or is there any other way.
> will the sata n configuration files be lost if i jus reload
> redhat from CD's

Back up /etc, then reinstall the kernel, binutils, and the main
libraries (ESP. glibc!!!).

One thing you haven't mentioned: have you ever upgraded any of the
packages? If so, you need to check to see if the rpms been compromised,
and if not, reinstall after you reload from the CD.

mark