Uninstall Redhat Network Components - Continued

Barry Brimer lists at brimer.org
Tue Nov 7 14:59:38 UTC 2006

> IANAL, but: What they want is money.  If you don't pay them then you
> can't use ANY of their EL distributions.  That's what Fedora and the
> other "free" distributions are for.
>
> So, to answer your question, they want you to remove everything that was
> installed from either the RHEL installation CD or the downloaded RHEL
> ISO's. (V2, 3, 4, and 5)

My understanding is different.  Of course Red Hat wants you to pay them to
renew.  If you choose not to renew, you do not have the right to the Red
Hat provided/certified binary updates.  There is no reason for you to
remove RHEL from your machine.  Your machine will become increasingly out
of date, but you are still allowed to use it.  If they want you to remove
their "update software" I assume what they really mean is up2date and its
related programs.  I would think that all you would really need to do is
turn off rhnsd so it stops checking in the RHN.

Barry