Red Hat qlogic drivers incompatible with QLogic sw?

Herta Van den Eynde herta.vandeneynde at cc.kuleuven.be
Tue Nov 14 08:32:42 UTC 2006

Some time ago, I installed Red Hat AS4 i386 on a HP DL580 with 2 QLogic
QLA2340.  As the drivers seemed fairly old, and the release notes
suggested we'd better go with the latest version, I replaced the drivers
that came with Red Hat by the ones on the QLogic website.  From that
same website, I also installed SANsurfer and scli, which basically
provide two interfaces to the HBAs from a running system.  I used scli
to configure the HBAs, and all was well.

I have now installed Red Hat AS4 AMD64 on a HP DL585, also harbouring 2
QLA2340s.  The QLogic drivers are more recent, and I saw no reason to
upgrade them.  The matching SANsurfer and scli packages from the qlogic
site installed fine, but unfortunately, they cannot be used.  scli
complains "Info: No compatible HBA(s) found in current system", and
SAnsurfer similarly claims it cannot connect to the local host.

Following an upgrade of the kernel on the HP DL580, and the drivers that
came with it, I find that both scli and SANsurfer have become
inoperative there as well.  You can still run the software but again, it
won't find the HBAs.

I can see the HBAs and the attached disks using
"cat /proc/scsi/qla2xxx/2"
I can configure the HBAs from Fast!UTIL at boot time, but I can no
longer monitor or configure them from a running system.

It looks like I have the choice of installing the qlogic drivers from
the QLogic website myself, or do without the configuration utitlities.

So what's the best way forward?
Should I try to resolve this through Red Hat or through QLogic?

Kind regards,

Herta