Console Login Issue

inode0 inode0 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 28 22:49:04 UTC 2006

On 11/21/06, Troy Knabe <knabe at 4j.lane.edu> wrote:
> I have made the following changes attempting to redirect my console to
> the console port, instead of the video card.  I am running RHEL 4.4 x64.
>

> ##in file /etc/inittab
>
> #Added for console redirection
> co:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty ttyS0 9600 vt100

I do the same although I use vt102 - shouldn't matter.

> ##in file /boot/grub/grub.conf
>
> serial --unit=0 --speed=9600
> terminal --timeout=10 serial console

Here I am a little more specific although the extra bits may be the
default anyway. I use

serial --unit=0 --speed=9600 --word=8 --parity=no

> # I was attempting to configure it so that I would see boot time
> information, but this did not work, so if anyone has any ideas here that
> would be great too.

What boot information are you talking about here? The BIOS boot
information? That would be something you may need to set in the BIOS I
believe. The bits we are doing here don't come into play until after
some of that is finished.

> at the end of the kernel line, add:  console=ttyS0 console=tty1

Here I use

console=tty0 console=ttyS0,9600n8

although the order and which tty I guess is whatever is most
appropriate for your situation.

> ##Add to the last line of /etc/securetty
> ttyS0
>

> ##run the following command
> killall -1 init
>
> I am now able to access the console for login, but on 2 of my boxes when
> I login I am getting "Module is uknown" (without the quotes)  But on the
> other two I have copied and pasted the same lines in, they worked fine.

Can you figure out which module it is complaining about? Anything in
the messages or boot log files? If the systems are otherwise the same,
as far as you know, perhaps lsmod on one that complains and one that
doesn't might shed some light on it?!

John